Who am I?

Who am I?

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Tajikistan 

The majority of the news currently is focused on women in politics so it was a little more difficult to find a story about women not related to politics.

Tajikistan tourism: Women eye trekking-guide careers


The Eco-tourism industry is a large part of Tajikistan's economy in the mountains because there are little work opportunities around. Unfortunately most of the tourist trekking guides are males due to the rigorous physical demands required of the job. Muslim communities is Tajikistan don't advise women to roam the mountains. Mountainous areas are considered men's territory. Although women's roles in Tajikistan are not as strict as their neighbors in Afghanistan, they are still very traditional. Family members tell the women that "trekking" is just too difficult.  

My family has never discouraged me from entering the mountains, the only precaution I get it to bring a head lamp and water. I love the mountains more than anything. I could never live in a flat area with no mountains. Snowboarding, hiking, biking, trail running, and rock climbing are so important to me it's like a religion. Men and women can benefit from clean mountain air and a little exercise. It is so exciting to see women not only embarking on something that is against tradition but also becoming part of a local venture to increase Tajikistan's capital and economy. 

Last year at the Women of the Mountains conference I met a woman who started her own Eco-tourism guide and travels around the world promoting more people to visit Tajikistan. She was a wonderful business woman and very professional. I was impressed by her success and her ability to accomplish her goal. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment