Who am I?

Who am I?

Thursday, September 15, 2016

9/15/2016
India
24% of Facebook users are Women

Link to The Times of India article
So what does this say about women? For one, women either don't have access to the internet/technology or are permitted for one reason or another. More notably, it is not Facebook only that women are not frequently accessing but the numbers for access to other types of technology are comparable to those of Facebook users. Personally I see no harm in women or men using social media less frequently, it is more alarming that women unlike men in India do not have equal access to technology. This is surprising because India is the second largest global market for Facebook. As women users increase so do male users thus the online gender gap has been consistent over the years without a decrease.

The article makes an interesting comparison to the past. We can easily recall that women were left behind in the industrial revolution, the educational revolution, and now the digital revolution. On the bright side female internet users are likely to make up 40% of internet users in India by 2020. Reading this article and reflecting on it's relation to me, my first thought was I need to utilize my freedom of the internet and social media and then my immediate second thought was, nah... there are better uses of my time. And so this concludes my usage of social media today. I'm going to do as the Indians do, YOGA!


No comments:

Post a Comment